Mets 4 – Diamondbacks 1
• Mike Pelfrey showed guts stranding a man at third with no outs in the first inning. Good job Mike. Quality pitchers fight through tough situations. Pelf went on to pitch 7 strong innings, giving up a lone run with 5 K’s and only 2 walks.
• Ike hit a wicked line drive to dead center for a 2 run HR in the bottom of the 7th giving the Mets a 2 to 1 lead. The shot was initially ruled a double but replays confirmed that the ball cleared the orange line for a round-tripper.
• Not to go unnoticed, the dugout erupted after Ike crossed the plate - led by Reyes who was cheering and pounding Ike on the helmet. The Mets can’t afford to trade Reyes. He brings a passion that is genuine and unmatched on this team. Alderson, if you can’t appreciate Jose’s talent, fire and love of the game - you should find another line of work. When the new owners come aboard, stop the nonsense and sign Reyes to a long term deal.
• Izzy pitched a perfect 8th inning.
• Before the game Angel Pagan was put on the 15 day DL with a strained oblique. During the game we learned that Ronnie Paulino - on his rehab assignment - strained his oblique. 10 years ago, no one heard of an oblique muscle. Now, players fall to this injury on a daily basis. The Blob wonders how players of yesteryear managed to go through an entire career without suffering the dreaded oblique strain: “Ladies and gentlemen, can I have your attention please. Unfortunately, Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig will not be playing in today’s game. Both men have been forced to the bench by strained oblique muscles.” What?
• 2 wins in a row is kind of fun.